- When you grasp Chīsa Na Choppu in your hand, you’ll instantly notice that it truly is a magical blade.
- This is because the perfect blend of modern western and traditional Japanese features has been achieved through this knife.
- From the remarkable beauty of the 73 outer layers of traditionally folded Japanese stainless Damascus steel to the sturdy and robust full tang, all the way down to the non-slip G10 fibreglass handle; This blade promises a fantastic level of diversity through many different kitchen tasks you can handle with it.
A deceptively beautiful 305mm Damascus Nakiri knife
Witchcraft Meets Knife Craft
Engineering A New Kind Of Feeling
- The Knife Forgers gave this creation the Japanese name “Chīsa Na Choppu,” which when translated to English means “Small Chops.”
- At Masuta Knife Imports, we didn’t understand what this was meant at first.
- But after discussing this with the Knife Crafters, we now understand it’s because they really wanted to make a different kind of Nakiri knife.
- The Crafters wanted to make a Nakiri that would evoke the physical feeling and the mental confidence of a Chinese Cleaver when it is being held.
- This was a hard task, considering how much broader the blades of Cleavers are compared to Nakiri blades.
- Well, the forgers pulled it off and once again we are stunned and honoured to be working with such talented Knife Crafters.
Robust & Surprisingly Nimble
- You will fall in love with Chīsa Na Choppu because it makes you feel like you’re confidently holding a robust, dense, and durable Chinese Cleaver.
- But it still has the delicate agility and fashionable looks of a traditional Nakiri knife. We now understand why this knife was named “Small Chops” because it quite literally was designed to feel and be used as a miniature Cleaver!
Not Just For Veggies Anymore
- Nakiri knives are usually used by prep-chefs in Asian kitchens to prepare massive amounts of vegetables.
- Unlike a curved Chef or Santoku knife, a Nakiri has a flatter edge, which allows for the entire blade length to make contact with your cutting board. This means a more efficient straight down cutting motion can be used, instead of a rolling chop that people use with western Chef or Japanese Santoku knives.
- Thanks to the “Cleaver oriented” design of this Nakiri, not only can Chīsa Na Choppu effortlessly dice up hundreds of bags of carrots and celery, but you can also use it for much heavier tasks…
It’s One Tough Blade
- The cutting core forged from world-renowned Japanese VG10 steel can easily handle chopping through poultry bones and other thick surfaces, while staying sharp for many months on end!
- Plus, the 73 layers of folded stainless Damascus steel ensure this knife will flourish through many lifetimes of cutting.
- Chīīsa Na Choppu also features a full tang that’s complemented very nicely with the black military grade G10 fibreglass handle. This allows Chīsa Na Choppu to absorb impact shock very well and it gives the knife a heftier feel than other Nakiri blades.
This Knife Likes it Rough
- Let’s say that you are looking for a stunning and unique Nakiri knife that will easily glide through a lifetime of abuse and being treated rough in fast kitchens.
- Or maybe you are a Chef that needs to add a Chinese Cleaver to your arsenal of blades, but your knife bag only has one more slot left that isn’t big enough for a traditional sized Cleaver?
- Well, regardless of what you’re looking for, Chīsa Na Choppu is our most robust Nakiri knife, and it will make a superb and beautiful addition to your kitchen.
Knife Care & Faq
Masuta's Certificate of Authenticity
- We provide all our customers with a customized certificate as well as the appropriate papers and documentation that verify how your knife was made.
- This includes where the different metals and materials were sourced from, and it states the name and location of the Knife Smith.
- It also explains step-by-step the specific kinds of forging techniques and processes that were used to make your knife.
- Plus, it includes the names and roles of all the different people who contributed to creating your knife.
Insured Parcels with Free Shipping & Complimentary Tracking
- We know that you'll be very excited while waiting to get your special new knife!
- That's why we process and ship all of our orders on the very next day.
- All of our shipped parcels are insured and come with tracking numbers, free of charge.
- Masuta Knife Imports also proudly supports Free Worldwide Shipping!
- Already ordered your knife? Track your parcel on our website.
Our Renowned Lifetime Warranty
- We proudly stand behind everything that we sell. Any knife that’s sold by Masuta Knife Imports (or any of our partners) is warranted to last through a lifetime of hard use.
- We promise that if you show your knife the respect that it deserves, then it’ll never let you down.
- In the rare case that a blade or handle is damaged, we will be happy to either repair your knife, or send you a brand new one!
- Please see our warranty page for more info on how to get a knife replaced.
Hassle-Free 60 Day Returns
- At Masuta Knife Imports, happy customers are our number one priority. We take pride in offering knives of the highest quality and craftsmanship.
- If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, for any reason, then please send us an email.
- We will be happy to offer you your choice of an exchange or a refund.
- We also offer our customers an additional $10 refund credit.
- We respond to all emails within 48-hours, and we always process returns immediately. Please visit our returns page for more information.
Carefully Packaged by Hand
- All of our knives are shipped in protectively padded cardboard boxes.
- This is to ensure that your blade stays safe on its journey to you.
- Many of our customers also choose to use the original packaging to store their knives in between uses.
Not Dishwasher Friendly
- We perform extensive durability testing on all our knives before we agree to share them with our wholesale or online customers.
- This is to ensure that we provide the highest quality products that will last the longest.
- So, this means that if you’re in a pinch, yes you can put a Masuta knife in the dishwasher. One gentle wash cycle won’t be enough to cause permanent harm to the edge, handle, or tone of your knife.
- However, please keep in mind that most dishwasher powders and detergents contain highly alkaline compounds such as trisodium phosphate.
- Long-term exposure to these chemicals will eventually start to degrade the handle, and "decarbonize" the tone of your blade. This is why professional Chefs always hand wash their knives.
- We do provide industrial grade knives capable of withstanding commercial foodservice environments as part of our wholesaling business. Please visit our wholesale page for more information.
Sharpen As Needed
- All of our knives are specifically forged so that they have a long-lasting, durable edge.
- For a home cook, they stay razor-sharp for many months and possibly up to a year!
- For a professional Chef who is using the knife multiple times a day, its edge can last for up to three-months between sharpening.
- For the best results when re-sharpening, we recommend you use a series of whetstones with different grits. You can also use a sharpening rod of your choice.
- Electric sharpeners are usually okay too, as long as they are high-quality ones.
- Each knife also comes with a sharpening guide and recommended sharpening angles as part of the Masuta Certificate of Authenticity.
Please be Careful
- Our knives are built to hold a lasting, razor-sharp edge. Please remember to be cautious when using your knife and to keep children away.
- We also take the time to pre-sharpen all of our knives by hand before we send them to you. This is so your knife will be able to shave through thin strips of paper right out of the box!
- Although doing this is very fun and satisfying (we do it too), please remember to be careful and not to get too excited when you first get your knife. Masuta Knife Imports is not responsible for any injuries that may result from improper or unsafe handling of your knife.
- All of our blades are beautiful and unique. However, they can also be dangerous, and they must be respected as such.